Helping kids from America’s most under-resourced, high-risk neighborhoods have abundant, eternal life.
Touching their life – Changing their world
This school year, By The Hand is serving 1,270 children—mind, body and soul. Yet, the waiting list of kids to attend By The Hand is long and the time for reaching these children is short. Even a slight delay may result in a lost opportunity. Realizing this, it is important to increase the number of children By The Hand can accommodate.
Towards the goal of serving 2,000 kids by 2018, we can only accept more children when the generosity of others permits it. Needed are individuals like you who are willing to invest in the lives of others today to make a lasting difference tomorrow.
Give monthly – Become a Club Champion
When you become a Club Champion with a monthly contribution of $25 or more, you will receive quarterly updates about what God is doing through the club.
It costs taxpayers $221,000 for every child that drops out of school and $2.3 million for every dropout that moves into a life of crime and drugs.
When children are referred to By The Hand Club, they are receiving scores of Below Standards or Academic Warning on the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) in reading, which makes them eight times more likely to drop out of school than kids reading proficiently.
Employing a holistic approach to child development while emphasizing academic excellence, By The Hand literally and figuratively takes kids by the hand, loving them as our own—mind, body and soul.
Historically, 85% of By The Hand high school seniors have graduated.
Of these graduates, 81% have enrolled in college.
For every $1 you give to By The Hand Club to help a child graduate from high school, you are saving taxpayers $3—up to $34 if a life of crime and drugs is avoided. Your gift does make a difference.
For example, during the 2016-2017 academic year…
- A week of 1-hour reading lessons from a reading specialist
- A new pair of eyeglasses for a child
- A Bible lesson each week for a child
- A help session with homework three times a week for 37 weeks
- A warm meal each program day for 37 weeks
- A semester of Chapel with a Bible lesson and praise and worship
- Lexia Core 5 computer reading software for one classroom of 22 kids
- Six weeks of small group anger management counseling at one site
- Bibles for new students at one site
- College prep for one child including college tours, ACT prep and financial aid counseling
- Comprehensive medical care including eye and dental exams, mental health counseling and wellness visits to doctor for 10 children
- One full-time leader to spiritually disciple a team of 22 kids for a year
- A child to receive holistic care—mind, body and soul—for a full year
On behalf of the children—thank you
By The Hand can serve only as many children as your generosity allows. To make a donation, please make checks payable to:
By The Hand
P.O. Box 10043
Chicago, IL 60610
To give by credit card, please click on the “Give Now” button. If you are interested in giving a non-cash gift (e.g. stocks, real estate), please contact Susannah Schwarcz at (312) 550.3737 or email@example.com.
Employer Matching Gift Program
To maximize your gift, please check to see if your employer has a matching gift policy. If so, follow their procedure to confirm your gift to By The Hand Club. We will do the rest. Please contact Marilyn Cassells at (312) 329-0705 or Marilyn.Cassells@bythehand.org with any questions. Thank you!
Stocks and Other Securities
Please contact Susannah Schwarcz at (312) 550-3737 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make a stock donation.
Gifts In Kind Needed
By The Hand needs many new supplies each year for art, school, the office, athletics and the kitchen, etc. Rather than donating the actual supplies, which often leads to duplication and waste, we kindly request that you consider donating a gift card from a major retailer such as Home Depot, Office Depot, Container Store, Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. This will allow By The Hand to purchase exactly what is needed, when it is needed. For more information please contact Susannah Schwarcz at (312) 550-3737 or email@example.com.