Our Response To COVID-19
The global emergency has been especially difficult for those in the neighborhoods we serve at By The Hand. But as we walk alongside our kids, nurturing their potential, they become the solution for our city and world. They truly are The Solution—but they can’t do it alone. And during this global emergency, our students need your support. Together, we can empower our students to change the world.
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Everyone at By The Hand is passionate about loving and nurturing each child to his or her full potential. So we’re finding creative ways to nurture them even though we cannot meet in person right now. There are many good things to celebrate—including how you’ve made it possible for By The Hand to continue serving our students!
Letter From Our Executive Director Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)
We realize that many people around the world are suffering illness and loss due to the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19). Our hearts and prayers continue to go out to them.
At By The Hand Club, we believe it is our role and responsibility during this time to prioritize the health and well-being of our students, staff and friends. Here are some of the steps we are taking to help prevent the spread of the virus and support the health and well-being of those who are part of our ministry family.
By The Hand Club’s Role and Responsibility Navigating COVID-19
- We are closely monitoring and following the guidelines of the Chicago Public Schools (CPS), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Illinois Department of Public Health and the Chicago Department of Public Health.
- As you know, CPS schools have been closed for the remainder of this school year. By The Hand Club is working closely with parents to determine emergency needs for medical care, child services and food for families who rely on school and By The Hand Club for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We have also launched a new virtual program to provide continued support for academic and spiritual nurturing during this difficult time.
- To prevent the spread of the virus, all of our clubs are closed to children and only our Cabrini club is open to staff on a scheduled basis. We are requiring our cleaning service to strictly follow the CDC guidelines for cleaning all surfaces every night to ensure the facility is safe. We are also working with staff to adhere to social distancing and other guidelines.
- We are encouraging good hygiene and healthy habits for handwashing, coughing, sneezing, blowing of noses, and we are requiring staff to stay home if they are sick.
- For our staff, in addition to our regular benefits, we are also expanding our sick pay for anyone who has been diagnosed with or exposed to COVID-19 or comes in close prolonged contact with someone who has, so staff do not have to choose between their health and their work.
As we navigate this dynamic situation, we will continue to keep you apprised of updates and plans. And we welcome your prayers and support through these unprecedented times. Together, we believe we will overcome the present challenges. We also believe that God is in control and we will look to Him daily for wisdom, protection and provision.
God bless you and thank you,